Friday, January 26, 2007

Welcome to Cubicle Land

I am creating this blog as a complement to the Organizational Communication class I teach at Austin Peay State University. The name of the blog Cubicle Land refers to the world of cubicles that so many workers live in these days. I have had to work in cubicles several different times during my career and I can't say that I'm very fond of that environment. Perhaps the best commentary on life is cubicles comes not from an organizational theorist but from the comic strip Dilbert by Scott Adams.

In beginning this blog I recalled my first class in Organizational Communication at Michigan State University which was taught by my undergraduate adviser Clyde D. J. Morris. Dr Morris (that sounds strange, everyone called him Clyde) was definitely a character but also a wonderful teacher. The main project for the class was a communication audit of the city of Grand Rapids. My particular part of the audit was to gather information at Calvin College. I took two other classes from Clyde as an undergraduate a class in research methods and a class in conflict resolution. Much of what I learned in all of Clyde's classes has stuck with me throughout my teaching career.

No comments: