Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Am I actually self-actualized?

Self Actualization:
According to our text self-actualization is to become everything one is capable of becoming.

What does it mean to me to become self-actualized? Words come to mind such as accomplishment, happiness, inner-peace, purpose, strive. So the question is what gives me those sensations? To me self-actualization is simple: it is being able and confident that no matter what type of shipwreck I get into I will possess the knowledge and skills to get ashore and later laugh about it. It is at the time of being in trouble that I feel determined to succeed. It is at the period of struggle and challenge that more than ever that I am animated. It is at the point of success that I feel accomplished. And when I can laugh about it; I know I am conflident enough to again be challenged. In my definition being self-actualized is not permanent end state. So, to become self-actualized I must continue to get into difficult and unpleasant situations, because it is only when I am challenged that I grow. Contrarily, if I was at a point where I felt totally defeated or gave up, that would be the ultimate low; a total lack of ‘self-actualization’.

No comments: