Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Thin Line For Management

To set some light on my background I am 21 years old, therefore I have only had six years of working eligibility. I have worked since I was 13 when I worked for a local golf store on an assembly line putting together golf clubs, I worked at such a young age so I could buy myself a cell phone. After I turned 15 I started working at Chris' Pizza Village, which was then Michael's Pizza and I have worked there ever since. I am the store manager capable of performing all operations in this store excepting the ability to own it. The owner though a real butthead has leaned on me to work hard so he doesn't have to since the day I became a manager. Regardless good job or bad job I've never heard a simple good job from him.
People go to college to work hard in the future and never be cogs in the machine of the corporation. As a manager all this time I have a distorted view on what a cog is or why they are even needed sometimes. But you have to realize when talking about a cog in the machine youre talking about a person who can't or just hasn't stepped up to the challenges needed to move. Whether it's because it's not their time to or they aren't qualified they don't earn the spot of manager.
My blog, however, is finished talking about the cogs because instead I want to take the back of the management that has to deal with them. When you are a manager it is expected of you to perfectly meet the needs of your superiors and your inferiors and that is just impossible. In the sad fact of life, according to the views of a "cog" every good manager would be fired from his/her job for sticking to the best interest of the workers on the ground floor, however the smartest and most successful manager would be hated for sticking to the best interest of his superiors.
A better way to start this would be: A person graduates college and finds a good steady job, this person works their butt off and eventually they get noticed. This person is particularly popular with his co-workers and he really enjoys their company. He gets promoted to management and now he does not just have to work on the task at hand, he now must decide which task is best for the company. As he makes the top class proud he moves up and eventually has achieved what his hard work should have earned him, but in order to build his wealth and become a more powerful employee he has to do what he is told. Now the floor workers begin to hold a grudge and next thing you know his friends basically say high up job or me, which option would a man with a family to feed, or a dream to fill choose? So now you have your cogs and this once personable manager becomes out of touch with his workers. Who's fault is it though? Management can be fired just as quickly as the rest of the workers but how do they stick around so much longer?
In this world you have to be ready to step on a few toes on the way up the ladder. If a man walks around the streets and gives a five every bum he sees he'll be broke within the month, same goes for a manager. Everyone has to be disposable so you won't be. A manager must deal with the faults of his employees while balancing with the demands of his bosses. Not everyone can have what they want and this life is too short to pass up your opportunity to make someone else content.

No comments: