Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dealing with a Bureaucracy: APSU was wrong for that!!!!

Have you ever had a trying time with a bureaucratic establishment? Well I did and it happened at Austin Peay State University during the winter break I had the time off ticket and classes paid for and I was ready to study abroad. It was wonderful and busy when I touched down in Mexico to extend the school during are winter break little did I know my first day of school was maybe my last day. The alarm clock sounded and I was rejuvenated and excited to see the campus where I would be learning Spanish. The first thing I did was get my tour and when I found the computer lab I immediately checked my email and what did I see. Attention students who are attending study abroad Mexico, It read dear student if you are in the study abroad Mexico you will not be receiving credit from the University. The first thing that came to mind was WTF!! I was mad I immediately got the other Apsu students and told them what Dr. Hoppe had just sent. Mind you that she sent the email the same day are flights left so Cleary no one had saw the email until we arrived. I was so mad that I nominated myself as the spokesperson, everyone said she’s not going to take your call, But I knew better. I got on the phone got her secretary and explained that I needed to speak with Dr. Hoppe regarding an email I just received she immediately got the president on the line. I spoke with Dr. Hoppe and she began to ask so many questions that I had to stop her and say aren’t you the president of the university why are you asking me all these questions. I just wanted to know why we were not informed before we left. She advised me that the trip wasn’t to have been sold I told her that there were flyers everywhere up to the moment I left. Clearly she wasn’t walking the campus. She explained that it was the TBR decision so I asked for the head person in charge there. Before hanging up the phone I asked should I cash out get the money that’s owed to me and leave or should I stay. Here response was I can’t advise you on that but that I am to know that credit will not be accepted by the university another WTF moment. So I get the rep on the phone from the TBR he began to investigate and ask it seemed like 30 questions I stopped him and was like look, tell me something. No one wanted to tell me anything. So I got with my classmates and we decided to stay in Mexico and fight that battle when we got back to the states. Fight we did I remember being in a room filled with people including the Spanish teacher, there drilling him and us. There were so many questions being asked and I only wanted an answer to if I was going to get credit. Of course us students won. That experience was crazy because I had to speak with so many people before I could get what I earned and most of all PAID FOR. Austin Peay was wrong for that!!

No comments: